Salt Lake City / Taylorsville Utah's
Redwood Veterinary Hospital
Chocolate Collection

Chocolate is Toxic to Dogs

Toxic Dog Substances

Theobromine is chemical compound found in cacao beans that are in chocolate products. The darker or more unsweetened the chocolate, the higher the concentration of theobromine. Be aware of the chocolate in your home, especially around holidays. Wrapped boxes of chocolates for Valentine's Day, Christmas, or anniversaries can be quickly consumed by dog. Please keep these packages, baking chocolate, and other forms of chocolate out of your dog's reach. Dogs that ingest chocolate products have initial clinical signs within 1-2 hours after ingestion and include restlessness, panting, vomiting, urinary incontinence, and diarrhea. Later, signs include heart arrhythmias and irregular contractions, stumbling gait, seizures, coma, and death. Dogs that eat chocolate are also at risk of caffeine intoxication.

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

Restlessness

Your dog may become hyperactive or generally more restless than normal as the chocolate gets absorbed into the bloodstream. In addition, the dog's muscles may begin to twitch.

Panting

After the dog has eaten chocolate, the dog's heart rate will increase. This can cause your dog to begin panting excessively.

Vomiting

The dog may begin to vomit after it has eaten chocolate.

Urinary Incontinence

Your dog may begin to urinate excessively or show signs of urinary incontinence which is an involuntary leakage of urine.

Diarrhea

Dogs may begin to have diarrhea after a chocolate poisoning.

Stumbling Gait

Your dog may have trouble maintaining balance or begin to have trouble walking. This can end in a coma and loss of life.

What To Do If Your Dog has eaten Chocolate

Immediately call your veterinarian or take them to the nearest veterinarian. Chocolate is a deadly toxin to dogs - even in small amounts.
Salt Lake City Veterinarians
Taylorsville Animal Hospital since 1982